Bringing Tirolean hospitality to the Keswick Mountain Festival 2014
For the third year running, the Tirol Tourist Board will be one of the main sponsors at the Keswick Mountain Festival, taking place from Thursday 15th – Sunday 18th May 2014.
- The luxurious tipi in the heart of the Festival Village on Crow Park will once again be transformed into an atmospheric Tirol Mountain Hut, opening for a special Tirolean evening on Thursday 15th May. Building on the success of last year, the Tirol Mountain Hut is the perfect meeting place to catch up with family and friends, enjoy some Tirolean hospitality and authentic Austrian food and drink and relax on the deckchairs dotted around outside.
- The main Festival Village (open 16th to 18th May) is the hub of activity, packed full of displays, demonstrations and taster activities for all ages, abilities and interests. There is a varied mix of outdoor sport activities and programmes offered, including running, walking, cycling, as well as a host of family activities too. New for this year is outdoor live music on Friday and Saturday evening from Hothouse Flowers, The Feeling, Stornaway, The Bad Shepherds and Peatbog Faeries. Festival passes, with camping and non-camping options, start from £25 per person.
- The high-profile speaker programme at the Theatre by the Lake is an added highlight to the festival, offering a mix of inspirational talks from adventurers, climbers, cyclists, celebrities and photographers, including Sir Ranulph Fiennes. The Tirol Tourist Board is presenting one of Austria’s most famous mountaineers, Peter Habeler, as guest speaker on Friday 16th May at 17.15. Peter Habeler and his companion Reinhold Messner are best known for achieving what was thought to be impossible - completing the first ascent of Mount Everest without the aid of breathing apparatus in 1978. Tickets are prices at £18 per adult, £15.50 per child and can be booked online here http://www.theatrebythelake.com/production/12049/Peter-Habeler. In addition, Peter Habeler will be making an appearance and signing autographs at the Tirol Mountain Hut on Friday 16th May at 13.00.
- The curtain raiser and highlight of the alpine-themed programme will be a special Tirolean Evening on Thursday 15th May. Hosted in the Tirol Mountain Hut, the event will include a three course Tirolean meal prepared by Keswick based Austrian chef Leo Leininger. Entertainment will be provided by an Austrian folk band flying in all the way from the Tirol. Tickets for the Tirolean evening are priced at £35 and the event has a capacity of 65. Tickets can be purchased here.http://www.keswickmountainfestival.co.uk/activities/alpine-tirolean-evening
- The Tirolean programme at Keswick Mountain Festival is concluded with a holiday competition, open to everyone on the website. One couple can win an active holiday to the resort of Kitzbühel, courtesy of Thomson Lakes and Mountains.
- Lucy Scrase, Keswick Mountain Festival director, comments: “Keswick Mountain Festival’s Tirolean programme has quickly grown into a highlight of our event and the alpine themed evening on the Thursday will help get the festival started in great style. The Tirol Mountain Hut is once again going to be a favourite meeting point for many people who visit the Festival Village on Crow Park over the weekend and we are delighted that the Tirol Tourist Board is bringing Peter Habeler to the festival. He is a major figure in world mountaineering and a great addition to our speaker line up.”
- For more information about the event visit www.keswickmountainfestival.co.uk
- For more information on the Tirol region www.visittirol.co.uk or keep updated at www.facebook.com/visittirol or @VisitTirol on twitter.